MacKenzie - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: change

When my dad announced that we were moving to Colorado, my whole world was turned upside down. My whole life had been lived either on or twenty minutes away from the beach. Colorado? There was nothing in Colorado except for some dumb mountains. Snowboarding would never take the place of surfing. Looking back on this experience, I realize that moving to Colorado was probably one of the best things that ever happened to me.

At age ten, my view on moving was very different and I tried to hide at one of my friends houses until we left. I was never really too upset about leaving my friends, it was more about leaving the place that had been a part of me for so long.

After the two day drive to Denver, we arrived at our new house, which was basically twice as big and half the cost of our old one. My first day of school was an experience. I was assigned my “Powell Pal”, who to this day is one of my closest friends. I was put into advanced math with Mrs. Musset, a fiery lady with a soft spot for cats, and California girls with high grades and basically no friends. Although I didn’t have an accent, I was singled out for my extensive use of the word ‘dude’. I guess I fit their stereotype pretty well; dirty blonde surfer with board shorts who had never even seen snow or owned a winter coat. It was interesting, walking down the hallway like I was invisible, observing everyone else from the outside. Even though I didn’t know it, the trip had already changed me in many ways. For example, I never wore a skirt or a dress after I moved until about halfway through seventh grade. I wore baggy clothes, and looking at it now I realize that it was a defense mechanism, hiding who I really was. Besides developing a real gift for sarcasm, some added bonuses were that my grades improved, because instead of hanging out with my friends I was studying. I also picked up a passion for volleyball from my dad, and have played it ever since.

Now, at fourteen, I look back and think how fortunate I was to have this experience under my belt, because it’s part of who I am and now I can face almost anything life throws at me and know that somehow, things will be a little better tomorrow.