felicia - owls head, New York

Have your parents ever told you not to do something, but you did it anyway? My parents are constantly telling me not to do certain things, but I usually do not listen and do what I want. There are a lot of times that I wish I did listen and didn’t do what they told me not to do.

Throughout my whole life I can remember my mom and dad either telling me not to do something or yelling at me to not do something. Things like: don’t yell at your little brother, don’t slam your door, don’t go too fast on the snowmobiles, don’t drive your car too fast, don’t smoke, etc. All of the things my parents told me not to do, I sometimes did anyway. I thought a lot of the things that they told me not to do were not very important, but now I know that they were just trying to protect me so that I would not end up in serious trouble, or get badly hurt or just so that I would grow up to be a good person.

I believe that you should listen to your parents because there was a time that I got hurt because I didn’t listen. My dad hired my friend and I to rake a lawn that he care takes for. My dad told us that we could take the 4-wheeler with the trailer behind it over to the job as long as we only used it to pick up the piles. We agreed to only us the 4-wheeler if we needed it and nothing else. Soon my brother came over and we started messing around with the 4-wheeler. My friend and I were sitting in the wagon and my brother and his friend were driving the 4-wheeler. My brother and his friend decided to park the 4-wheeler in a mud puddle and then take off quickly so that mud would fly up and hit my friend and me. They did this several times. I decided to jump off the 4-wheeler to avoid getting hit by the mud. When I jumped off, my feet flew out from under me and I smacked my head off the dirt driveway. When I hit my head it knocked the breath out of me and all that I could taste was dirt in my mouth. I could hear people yelling my name and asking me if I was ok, but I could not see them. I was crying really hard because of how bad it hurt; I couldn’t respond to them to tell them that I couldn’t see anything. When I finally calmed down I told them that I couldn’t see anything and that everything was black. I didn’t regain my sight again for about 5 minutes. I also had scrapes all down my back. I couldn’t see them but I definitely felt them because they really hurt. I also had a pounding headache for the rest of that day.

I believe that it is important to listen to your parents because they have been through more, they are more experienced, and therefore they know more than we do. I could have gotten hurt really bad that day but I was lucky and walked away with a headache and a few scratches. If I would have listened and not have been messing around with the 4-wheeler I wouldn’t have been in pain at all that day.

Now that I am older and I don’t think that I really need advice anymore, I still accept it and most of the time I do end up using it. There are still things that I don’t know and I need advice about. I don’t think that we ever grow out of taking advice from our parents. I know this because I hear my mom asking her mother for advice all of the time. No matter how old we get we still need our parents.

I believe that your parents are there to protect and help you through your good and bad times. I believe that it is important to listen to your parents and respect their

wishes on what is best for you. After all, they are older and wiser than we are. We all often take that for granted. We just think that our parents often tell us not to do some things just to be cruel, but they are just trying to protect us.