Richard - Gilbert, Iowa

The Little Things

Opening a door, saying please and thank you, smiling at a stranger: these are all little things someone can do that make a big difference. They are small, kind gestures, but they can make a huge impact on what someone thinks of a person. I believe in the little things. I believe that something as simple as opening a door or smiling at someone can change their day. These little gestures and actions are more important than they seem. As they saying goes, it’s the little things in life that matter most.

When at the store, if you saw a person with full bags trying to get through the door, would you hold it open or just walk by? Did you ever think that he or she could hit that door and his or her bags could spill on the ground and be ruined> Just think, you could take five seconds to do something as little as that, and it could completely change how a person’s day is going. I know if I had my hands full I would appreciate someone going out of his or her way to help me. Do you smile at a person even if you don’t know them? Sometimes a smile can speak much more than words. Working at Papa Johns, ideal with customers all the time, a lot of people come in looking grim or angry, and simply greeting them with a smile can completely change how they speak and act towards you. Again, just a small gesture, and it can make all the difference. It works the same with answering the phone. If you put even the slightest amount of effort in to what you’re saying, it makes a huge impact on what someone will purchase because most people call not knowing what they want yet. Saying please and thank you seem to be dying phrases. Again, working at Papa Johns and dealing with hundreds of our customers, I know that most business is repeat business. When you give someone what they ordered, smile, and say “thank you please come again”, it makes a huge difference. Companies rely heavily on repeat business and saying thank you come again is one of the easiest ways to have someone come back. All these are small things I can do at work to make a difference, and as small as they are, they can add up to thousands of dollars that franchise makes a year.

As small as the little aspects of life may be, they can add up. So, next time you see someone struggling, go out of your way and take that extra five seconds to help them. If you see someone on the street, smile at him or her, you never know that kind of impact you can make on someone’s day. Always remember, it’s the little things in life that matter most. This I Believe.