Anna - Story City, Iowa

Proving Them Wrong

Statistics show that today’s teenagers are prone to depression more than ever before. How does a seventeen-year-old girl stand up to stereotypes that point her in a doomed direction? Throughout my life I have encountered situations that have forced me to make decisions on a moments notice. In these situations I’m not always sure of myself. Even though I don’t always know if I’m making the right decision or if I’m not looking before I leap, I have to believe everything will be okay. I have to believe in myself.

I do believe in myself. I trust my heart and my gut in every situation. Over the years I have learned it’s not always right to listen to my mind. Recently I have found myself in a dilemma. Someone, whom I care about dearly, has told me he needs to grow up before he can make a commitment to me. My dilemma is as follows: wait for him to grow up or move on without him. My mind tells me to move on, but my heart begs me to wait. Waiting requires me to keep fighting to keep him. I believe in myself. I believe I will make it through the hardship of waiting.

I also believe in my decisions. Not only is there a teen depression issue, there is an underage drinking problem. I don’t believe in drinking underage. In high school it is my responsibility to be a role model for the younger kids. The majority of my closest friends are in college and drinking underage. This is a hard thing for me because often I am in a situation where I could choose to drink. Sometimes I am pressured, but I have morals. I believe in myself and I know I can stand by those morals I so strongly believe in.

The most important thing I can do to avoid stereotypes dooming me to depression or alcoholism is to believe I will succeed. I know more than anything that I am important in this world and that I have a purpose. I believe I am here for a reason and that I will go far. My decisions, my heart, my gut, and my experiences will prove those stereotypes wrong. I believe in myself, every day.