Ramblings of an Eighteen Year Old Boy

Zachary - Ames, Iowa

Do you ever get tired of all of the questions? What do you believe? Where do you want to go? What do you want to be? What do you think? Who will you vote for? Like I’m supposed to know, just because I’m eighteen… just because this is my last year in high school… just because? Here’s my answer.

I believe in me. If I want to believe in God, Allah, or Buddha, or if I want to go to college or be a bum, I believe it’s my choice and I do whatever makes me truly happy.

I want to go to college, then medical school and become a doctor. I know that it will take a lot of work but I love hard work and a challenge, so that’s what I want to do. I am also going to play football during college, which will make it even more challenging. Perfect, because that’s what I like.

There are so many things that are pressured on us as we get older… Which party are we going to join? Are we going to vote? What school are we going to attend and what are we going to do? I say, “Do what we want; do what makes us happy”. People will pressure us to do things we really don’t want to do. In high school and junior high everyone talks about peer pressure. I think as an adult it gets worse; it just depends on how well we can handle it.

I make choices every day. The first thing I think about isn’t necessarily what everyone else wants; it’s what will make me happy. Being happy is all that matters. If I don’t go along with people who are trying to manipulate me and they decide to ignore me, that’s fine. I will find someone who will talk to me- someone who likes me for me. I have many people in my life who understand that I won’t change, so they don’t try and I have great relationships with many of those people. The people who try to change me, I don’t usually get along with. I see them coming from a mile away. I’m not willing to give up what I believe in to make them happy or fit in.

I am an 18-year-old boy who doesn’t know what party I am in or what college I will attend. I believe in God. I don’t believe in The Bible as a religious book, more as a book of morals, and I believe in thinking what I want. I believe in me. I believe in my choices. No one will ever change that. If I decide to change my beliefs to make me happier, I will. But for now I believe in me.