Living Life with Laughter

Ashley - Story City, Iowa

We all share laughter. It is common ground even when we are two completely different people. We can agree that laughter lifts the spirit and touches the heart, making us glow. Sometimes, it starts quietly and unnoticed, but then suddenly springs to life and picks up speed, affecting everyone around it.

I think children understand laughter better than adults. We might say they are laughing at inappropriate moments, but they just let laughter get them through the moment. When I leave a room where there are a bunch of children, I can’t help but leave laughing.

I have those days sometimes, when nothing seems to go right. I had just gotten off work and it was a very busy night. I really didn’t think I had enough gas to get me home, but I thought I could push it. I had to give a girl a ride home. After I dropped her off, the car sputtered and died and I found myself just rolling down the street. It was not a good feeling! I was a mile or so away from a gas station and I just started laughing because I realized that I didn’t have a phone. I was stranded at midnight. I don’t believe getting really mad is going to do you any good. You have to get over it, and laughing is how I do it. Things are going to happen whether I want them to or not. It is what I make of it that determines how the rest of my day will go. Having a car run out of gas is never fun, but what I have realized is it is not the end of the world. These experiences really teach me patience and hopefully, to be responsible in the future. That is why I try to find the humor in every situation and I try to use laughter to keep me moving when all else seems hopeless.

The way to anyone’s heart is through laughter. I find I surround myself with others who love to laugh. What better way to form a friendship than with laughter? I know if a meet a friend through laughter, it will last forever. It is a bond sealed with a touch of happiness.

Carpe Diem! Seize the day with laughter! Start out on the right foot; begin the day with a lighthearted joke. Make every day full of joy and unforgettable memories!