Alyssa - Centerville, Ohio
Themes: gratitude

This I believe: Appreciate what you have.

My parents only had one child, myself. They spoiled me of course, since I don’t have any brothers or sister. I had a lot of things and attention from my parents. I would get anything I asked for basically. So when people gave me things, I didn’t really think much of it. I didn’t even have to earn anything- just smile and plead.

That attitude didn’t get anywhere in life, not working for something-nor earning things; when I didn’t deserve it. I’m not blaming my parents or anyone for this matter. I am just now realizing and appreciating things and people in my life. I am trying not to be selfish like i was in the past, a lot of people care about me. So I won’t make mistakes and do something stupid in life.

My parents try to help me with things, but instead I take it for being too over protective and they don’t know anything. But I know now appreciating is a big key to life and you wouldn’t be respected for anything. So you should appreciate everything or anything that happens to you. Or else what kind of person are you going to be someone selfish or someone you want to respect.

I have learned from my mistakes that I really need to appreciate everything and everyone. I mean who knows when you’re going to really need people or something when it’s a bad day or time. You won’t learn respect if you don’t have appreciation. I think it also is relative to “not taking things for granted”. You won’t learn anything and you might influence others not to appreciate.

I have learned on my own about appreciation it was tough to understand because I learned it at an older age then some kids. But I have realized a lot of things now; I can see what I’ m really doing with my life. Friends who are friends, careers, everything I’m realizing as I mature. Appreciating equals respect and maturity.