Rob - Ames, Iowa
Themes: change

The Power of Change

What makes life interesting? Is it repeating the same thing day after day? I doubt many people would say that they enjoy life because they wake up every morning and do the exact same things that they did the day before. I believe in change. Sometimes people fear change, and a lot of the time that fear is justified, but sometimes change can lead to great opportunities.

I started attending Gilbert in 2004, after switching from Ames. My friends used to ask me a lot why I switched, because I didn’t move or anything. I wish I could’ve answered their questions, but I couldn’t, because even I was unsure about why I left. Back then, the fact that I just wanted a change seemed like a silly answer that would still leave questions anyway. My parents originally suggested the switch because they wanted me to be in a smaller, less anonymous environment. My brother, Todd, had been a little unfortunate at Ames, and I think my parents wanted to try something else with me.

Originally, I was opposed to switching. I didn’t want to have to make new friends and assimilate into an entirely different school. Then, during the summer before freshman year, I realized I was bored with how my life was going. I was bored with my friends, bored with school, bored with everything. As an eighth grader, there isn’t much you can change about your life, so I decided to switch and enroll at Gilbert.

Looking back on the decision I made, I feel it was a good one, and I would make the same decision again if I had the choice. The time was right for me that year to leave what I had known for my whole life, and it was a scary decision, but that change has helped me have some of the most fun of my life here at Gilbert. It has certainly made things more exciting the last four years, with meeting new people and building new relationships. That decision has led me to do things I probably never would have done at Ames, like playing soccer, and especially cross-country, and those are two of the things I have enjoyed the most over the last few years. I never want to fall into a repetitive lifestyle like so many people do; I always want my life to be exciting. That is why believe in change, and why I will continue to search for change throughout my life.