Regan - USA
Themes: sports

I believe in sports. I like the competition and being able to push myself physically and mentally. I like the teamwork in sports like football and soccer and also knowing that in sports like wrestling it’s all up to me to do well, and if I lose it’s no one’s fault but mine. I like hanging out with my team and coaches, making lasting friendships, motivating people for a common goal, being able to lead and stepping up when my team needs me. I also like the feeling of winning and knowing that I worked hard to beat this team or person and that makes the winning all the better.

I like the challenge from sports, especially when I least expect it. One time I was in a football game when our safety got hurt so I had to go in and play in his position. The game was just starting and we were on defense when they had a double pass, a sort of trick play. I had seen this play many times before in practice but hadn’t really covered it that well all those times, but seeing it then had prepared me for this one play and I was all over it. It was in slow motion. I saw the ball floating up through the air, a terrible pass really since the running back just threw it up for grabs, so I jumped up in the air and stuck my hand up hoping to tip it away, and I knocked the ball down to stop a first down and gain momentum for our team. I was pretty pumped. This is an example of when my team needed me, and I stepped up to make a good play to help us win the game. It was a good feeling to win and know that I helped do it.

I believe sports taught me many lessons that will stay with me for the rest of my life; a few of these would be leadership, teamwork, and being a good person on and off the field. In sports you learn how to take losing, but knowing that if you gave your all, losing doesn’t really matter. In athletics, people play them until they are sixty or even seventy and I plan on doing just that.