Just Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman

Eric - Gilbert, Iowa

Cornered in the damp alleyway, you slowly approach your quarry. Fear grips him as beads of cold sweat drip down his face as he stares into your eyes. Your red spandex-covered arm gleams in the pale moonlight, outstretched in the position your prey knows only too well. Web sprays out of your wrists and covers in the villain in a sticky cocoon. You grab the handbag dropping in the confusion as you proceed to attach the cocoon to the nearest light pole. You deliver the purse to the rightful owner, a grateful old lady. You triumphantly declare, “All thanks to your friendly neighborhood Spiderman!”, and swing off into the New York City skyline.

Ok, maybe this exact scenario has never happened to you, but there are some things in common that we all can take away from the fictional world of Spiderman. I believe there is a little bit of Spiderman in everyone. I don’t mean if you concentrate hard enough you’ll shoot web fluid across the room. I mean the principle of the story applies to everyone. Peter Parker was a nobody. He didn’t fight his daily swirly, happily given by the jocks of the day. That all changed when he got his powers. No longer was Peter a skid mark on the pants of life. He was a somebody and makes a difference in the world.

No matter how low you are on the totem pole, you can actually make a difference. One example of my own wasn’t exactly making the world a better place, but it’s a good example in its own right. The strapping young man you see on this stool wasn’t always so strapping all his life. Back in the day, I was the shrimp of the grade by a solid three inches. Sports were a particular difficulty, especially in my favorite sport of basketball. I always the one people wanted to guard because of how easy it was to reflect my pitifully weak shots to the other end of the court. After years of torture on the court, I knew it was time for a change. Even though I didn’t gain much in the vertical department, I practiced as much as I could to use my abilities given to me. To make a long story short, after junior high I was team MVP both years, still physically looking up to all my peers.

It doesn’t take a bite from a radioactive spider to compel you to change the world. Even an insignificant punk on the basketball court can leave some sort of impact. So next time you feel insignificant in this mixed up universe, remember to embrace that Spiderman in you.