The Importance of Family

Benjamin - Virginia

Thankfully, I have been blessed with a good family. My parents love each other, and my brother and sister respect and honor our parents. Despite our differences my brother, sister, and I have learned to love each other. Someday I want to have my own family. I hope that I provide for my family as well as my father has provided for us. I hope that my future wife is as loving a wife and mother as my mother has been. I hope that I have children to love and care for and who love and respect me in return. Family is important for this reason: it represents God’s love.

Too often I have taken my family for granted. I forget that not everyone grows up in an ideal family situation. Many children grow up without a father’s love. Even though my father’s career required that he spend a good deal of time away from home; I knew that he would be there for me when I needed him. I’ve never gone hungry, and I’ve never been without a home. Thanks to my father’s hard work my mother was able to stay home and raise her children. My favorite memories of dad are when he would read to us. We would gather together as a family; everyone had to be present because no one wanted to miss what happened in the next chapter. Someday I’ll read to my children the same stories my dad read to us.

In addition to being blessed with a great dad, I have an amazing mother. She lives in such a way that I can see Christ’s love in every aspect of her life. She taught me to put others before myself. Every week she visits the local nursing home and brightens the lives of our elderly friends. Whenever a neighbor has a need she is there to help, whether it is making a meal or giving words of encouragement. When her children need someone to talk to, she is there to comfort and council. My earliest childhood memories are of my mother rocking me in her rocking chair when I had trouble sleeping at night.

As for my brother, sister, and I, we’ve had some great times together. Of course we’ve argued and fought like all brothers and sisters, but I am thankful to have grown up with such good companions. Because my family moved a good deal during my childhood it was comforting to know that no matter where we lived I would have two constant friends. I have fond memories of going to the beach, building forts, watching movies, and playing video games together. To this day my brother still makes me laugh, and I still enjoy watching movies with my sister.

When a family functions properly it mirrors, though imperfectly, the love of God. When a husband cherishes his wife and provides for his children, he shows God’s love. When a wife nurtures and raises her children, she shows God’s love. When sons and daughters respect and obey their parents, they show God’s love. And when brothers and sisters get along and share with each other, they show God’s love. When a family loves God and each other, selfishness gives way to sacrifice, and there is peace and harmony in the home.