Megan - Gilbert, Iowa
Themes: sports

Jogging for a better life

I believe in the power of a peaceful jog. It doesn’t matter how long or how fast I go. The positive impact jogging has on my body and mind improves the quality of my life. Jogging not only makes me feel stronger, but also more relaxed. For me it creates an escape from reality that is at times much needed. How many people can say they have found a way to remove all stress from their lives?

In the spring, I get up an hour earlier to go on a brisk morning jog. Usually just around town or a nearby park where the scenery is beautiful. I can always smell the sweet aroma of the blooming flowers. The crisp air tickles my face as it fills my lungs with a deep, cool rush in every breath. My Ipod urges me on as my legs move to the beat of every song. The music barely blocks out the repeating sound of my tennis shoes scraping the top of the pavement. My mind becomes completely clear of all stress from the day before. Jogging gives me a new beginning, a clean slate, to start the day refreshed and renewed.

Other than in the springtime, I jog when I am upset. As graduation approaches, I am getting more and more stressed out with what I’m going to do with the rest of my life. My father is continually telling me, “Time is running out to apply to colleges.” The pressure only makes me jog faster. I have learned that I can deal with things better by getting away and thinking them through. So far in my life, this kind of self-healing only comes from jogging.

After returning from a relaxing jog, I feel like I’ve accomplished something. I believe that jogging has improved my life in several ways. I have more energy throughout the day, become calm, and think clearer. I know that jogging can’t solve all my problems, but the feeling of complete peace has never been so real to me, than when I am jogging.