Tasha - Ames, Iowa

Make Yourself

“If I hadn’t made me, I’d have fallen apart by now. If I hadn’t made me, I’d be more inclined to bow.” I believe that we must make ourselves into who we want to be and not be influenced by others.

In middle school I felt the constant need to fit in. I felt as though I had to impress somebody. If I didn’t make my peers like me, how could I like myself? I had this mentality for four years. I had finally had enough of it and transferred schools before my ninth grade year.

Before I came to Gilbert, I was kind of scared that I would fall into the same trap that I had in the past. I didn’t want to let people influence how I felt about myself. I wanted to make myself. I wanted to make myself happy first this time, not everybody else. I just wanted to be me.

On my first day of school I walked in wearing a Nirvana T-shirt and my red Converse high tops. I was happy. I felt like this was who I wanted to be. I wanted people to know what I loved. In Nevada, that would have never happened. I was scared to let people know what I was really about. It was all so much different here.

My peers accepted me. They actually liked me for who I was. They respected my thoughts. Everybody knew that I was not about to change for them. That made me truly happy. It made me who I want to be. Today, I still wear that Nirvana shirt and people still accept me. For that, I am so grateful.

If I had continued to let other’s thoughts influence me, I would not be as strong as I am today. I would fall into the same old trap of unhappiness. So, thank you. Thank you for letting me be myself. Thank you for not trying to change who I am. I believe I have made myself.