Home is Always with Us

Brad - Ames, Iowa
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe in the power of something so random, so miniscule can bring people together. An object like a cookie or a warm glass of cocoa to make people feel at home or comforted. It’s what mom used to do that makes me feel loved and safe. And when that safety is interrupted what happens?

I believe that our lives are so planned out that anything out of the ordinary brings us together and forces us to bond. Sometimes that bond is a positive and sometimes it’s a negative, but there is always some kind of a bond. It’s as simple as a mother making cookies or as complex as planes crashing into buildings.

The fresh smell of cookies coming out of the oven never fails to stop all boys in my house from running up the stairs and sitting; waiting like a pack of seagulls at the beach waiting for a free meal from the tourist. The lasting impression is that one cookie can bring four busy boys to the kitchen and chat, even if it’s only for five minutes. It’s as if the cookie itself is the center of conversation and that is the only reason we were there.

I believe in the hard times of life you always will try to resort back to your childhood memories. The ones that make you feel at home. I believe home travels with you no matter where you go. When I’m gone to college I’m sure the things I can always resort to will be the pleasure of a nice warm, freshly-baked cookie, or the best hot chocolate my mom could make. Which wasn’t always that good, but that’s what made it my mom’s; it in turn made me feel important.

The only thing we can count on in the future is what we’ve done to get there, all the bad things and good things. It’s the bad experiences that shape who we are more than the good. I believe all past actions show who we truly want to be or what we wanted to become. I believe that we all have done something we regret and something we take pride in. I believe it’s those moments made us who we are. And when the day is done the only thing that really matters is the small things that shape who we really are. Not things you are on the outside but the person you make yourself. The things that we learned from mom and dad or brothers and sisters. I believe that we take home with us no matter were we go.