Erin - Ames, Iowa
Themes: death, family

Everything Happens For a Reason

Everyone’s lives are so full of misery, happiness, and passion. People suffer with loved one’s deaths, nation’s war, and natural disasters just waiting to happen. I believe that everything happens for a reason. Many people have the lives they always dreamed of having. Others aren’t quite as lucky. Things that happen in life all have a purpose or a reason for happening.

For me this belief all started back when I was in sixth grade. I woke up on Monday morning dreading the fact that I had to get ready for school. My mom was in the kitchen fixing me breakfast and preparing my sack lunch for the day. I sat down to eat and right as I put the spoon to my mouth the phone rang. I jumped up to answer it hoping it would be someone I knew. The voice on the other end was distraught and full of unease. They asked for my mother. I gave her the phone and anxiously waited to see what all the fuss was about. My mom sat down and all emotion on her face went blank. I started to worry. What was going on? Why is she so upset? She finished the conversation and hung up the phone. She grabbed the phone again and called my dad. At this moment I knew something was terribly wrong. Around 7:30am my mom usually takes me to school, but this was different. We got in the car and drove down to my dad’s office. He came outside and they told me to stay in the car. Waiting patiently I noticed my mom starting to cry. At that exact moment I knew something bad had happened and I desperately wanted to find out. They came over to the car, both got in, and we drove home. My brother and sister were sitting in the living room and I sat down beside Nathan. My dad came in and told us that our Granny Ella just passed away. I knew what it meant, but I was confused as to why it had to happen to her. My mom sat me down and explained to me that she was of really old age and her heart just decided it was time to stop. Right then and there I realized that I would no longer be able to have my Great-Grandmother come to anymore of my soccer games, fix me chicken noodle soup when I’m sick, and teach me how to make old family cookies and desserts.

In this whole experience I learned that just because someone I love is no longer with me, doesn’t mean I won’t ever see her again. Always remember the good times; don’t remember the bad. All of this has helped me believe strongly that everything happens for a reason and that I shouldn’t be down on myself thinking I could’ve changed it.