Travis - Ames, Iowa
Themes: setbacks

I believe in breaking thing, I believe in screwing up, and I believe in scars. I will be the first to admit, I have many scars. Scars are evidence of mistakes.

I started getting scars at a very early age, so my mom says. As I learned to walk I was a very curious kid; I got into a lot of situations I probably shouldn’t have been in, like yanking on cords hanging off the counter, making whatever they were connected to go crashing to the floor, usually ending up broken. As I grew older I slowly learned not to pull on the cords hanging off of the counters, basically because I realized that it hurts to get hit by stuff. However, I still continued to get scars. They just seemed to get bigger as I got older.

When I was about six years old my dad was letting me move the big tractor up the drive to the garage door. He figured nothing could go wrong; it’s a straight drive. There I was driving this huge machine by myself, not the first time driving it, but the first time alone. As I approached the garage I was instructed to slow down, but sure enough I punched it. I sat in awe as I watched the front end of the tractor smash right through my mom’s garage door. Luckily she wasn’t home at the time, and the car was fine.

These are just two examples of the scars that I have, but those of you who know me know that I have many, many scars. I believe that everyone should have them. They are great learning experiences. I’m sure if you were to ask my parents, they wouldn’t appreciate all of my “scars”; however, I am glad that I have them. I probably learned more from my scars than I did from everything else combined, because nobody wants to get the same scar twice.