A True Reason

Brittany - maxwell, Iowa
Themes: purpose

The twin towers, Columbine, and Katrina. When we hear these things we all think of huge disasters: disasters that left people broken, homes destroyed, or even lives lost. Most people can’t look beyond these aspects, instead they ask, “Why me?” or “Why did this have to happen to us?” I believe though that even if you can’t see it at first or even understand it, everything happens for a reason.

When I was seven my dad passed away in a tragic car accident on his way to work; he collided in a T-bone collision with a semi. At that point both my mom and I fell into the previous category of people asking why me, why us. But now as the many years have passed by, even though I still may not know the reason, I have realized that if something so tragic hadn’t happened to me, to us, my life wouldn’t be what it is today.

My mom and I have created a special relationship, in which we can tell each other everything and anything. We can read each other’s minds, and even finish the other’s sentences. Without such a “disaster” in our lives this very bond that is so close to my heart could be nonexistent. This same bond is one that has been forged in the hearts of all those who where affected by the twin towers, Columbine, and the most recent Katrina. After these events, families came together to overcome the obstacles. In Katrina lost relatives came back together to help rebuild not only homes but also relationships.

In Columbine the whole school was able to join together, the cliques disappeared, and everyone came together as one. Finally the towers, this is the one that joined the whole nation. For once we were all able to put ourselves last and put the lives of others first.

All of these disasters created lifelong friendships with those who were there for those so close to these tragedies. Whether as a helping hand, a shoulder to cry on, or someone with a sense of hope, a person was there, and always will be. Just like my mom and me. Even though all of these tragedies are hard to deal with I sincerely believe that everything happens for a reason ‘even if it’s not something you can always understand.