Keep Your Head Up

Kelsey - Gilbert, Iowa
Themes: hope

“One of the most difficult things everyone has to learn is that for your entire life you must keep on fighting and adjusting if you hope to survive. No matter who you are or what your position is, you must keep on fighting for whatever it is you desire to achieve.” -George Allen

I believe in staying positive. Being negative is a waste of time. As you can see in this quote, no matter who you are or what you’re doing you must believe you can conquer whatever it is you want to achieve. Staying positive through the hardest of times shows character. I’ve shown this through my own personal experience.

When I was about four years old my parents got divorced and my mom was raising my brother and me on her own. We had very little money and lived in a tiny apartment, but it was still home to the three of us. Most kids my age were going to Adventureland on the weekends or going on big trips to Disney World, not me. Instead of trips that were more expensive we did other things. On the weekends the three of us would go down by the river that runs through Inis Grove and have a picnic lunch with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Instead of getting all new clothes, most of our clothes were hand-me-downs from cousins. We learned to appreciate the small things in life like a trip to DQ because it was a treat rather than something we did all the time. We always had to think about the future and keep faith that things would get better.

My brother and I became very close during these years. We were all each other had. We would play with each other nonstop for hours. We didn’t have any game systems or other expensive toys. We had Barbie dolls and board games. Though life was tough, we found the good in it, the brother and sister bond.

The three of us learned that you don’t have to, and can’t buy happiness. You make it. You make it by keeping your head up and fighting through bad, thinking about the good in life and not dwelling in the bad. You’d be surprised at how much more you see in life when your head’s up. You learn about yourself and who you want to become. Staying positive will only better your outlook on life.