Ashley - Ames, Iowa
Themes: family, love

He’s Got My Back

I believe in my father: a man who has been present in my life since before I was born, an encouragement when I’m stressed or broken, a refreshment in times when I feel like giving up. When I am burdened with life’s troubles, I can climb up into his lap and find comfort unlike anything else. My father is a conqueror, the perfect role model. He has conquered life’s trials, disappointment, and looks at life with possibility and joy.

He believes in second chances; giving others a clean slate and the possibility to reach their potential. I have disappointed my father countless times, whether I was disobeying a command, fighting with my brother, or going against his support and encouragement. Yet, after all I have done, he opens his arms with forgiveness and embraces me with love. He has such a genuine love. I believe his love is greater than any love I have ever experienced. His love looks beyond the surface, his love forgives, his love grants grace, and supports the possibility of potential.

Just recently I found myself so stressed out with my future, the plans that lie ahead, and in the midst of my frustration my father tugged at my heart and spoke the simple words, “I am always here for you.” Those simple words immediately embraced my soul and assured me to trust, trust that I am going somewhere, I have a purpose, and that no matter what, my father’s got my back. Times may come when I question what I am doing, but I can honestly look forward to those moments knowing that I am supported.

I look back to when I was a toddler just learning to walk. My parents were cheering, embracing, and challenging me to take that first step because they knew it would only get easier. I can look at my life now and apply the same scenario. I am about to take a step out on my own; to walk on my own two feet and learn to be dependent on myself. No matter where I go, or what I encounter I will never forget my father. My father is my strength, my courage, a piece of my foundation. Thankfully I know that whatever life throws my way, my father’s got my back.