Friends and Family

Jeffrey - Chesapeake, Virginia

In the beginning of October of this year I was in a serious car accident where I ended up in the hospital overnight. I don’t recall any of the details surrounding my accident, even after a month and a half, but I do remember that when I woke up in the hospital that I was going to be in serious trouble with my father for wrecking the car. That wasn’t case though when I called him at work to tell him that I was in the hospital because of a car accident. When I told him where I was he immediately got off the phone saying “I’ll be right there.” It was when he finally got to the hospital that I saw he wasn’t mad at all, just terrified that I could have been seriously injured. After he saw that I was all right he called the all of my family that he could contact, and told them what was going on. I was moved to an observation room soon after my mother had arrived, to be watched overnight as a precaution. It was in the observation room that I was able to see the rest of my family, which surprised me because I hadn’t expected any of them to come since I was all right. It turns out that all I received from the accident was a concussion and some pain in my neck and back. It was then that I realized that it didn’t matter to my family whether or not they had set plans; they just wanted to see me to make sure for themselves that I was all right.

I believe in love between friends and family. I didn’t believe in a plutonic love of friends but the events since my accident have changed my mind drastically. I always believed in love between family members but it wasn’t until my accident that fully understood what that love could entail.

Since my accident I haven’t been able to drive myself any where because the ER doctor that released me said I should have a test done before I drive again. For this reason, I have come to understand the plutonic love of friends. Since I’m not allowed to drive I’ve had to depend solely on the loving nature of my friends to be able to make it to my classes and work. My friend Hailey has been gracious enough to drive me to school almost everyday. Amandeep was able to drive me home two days a week because we have a class together on Mondays and Wednesdays and was able to drive me to school on Tuesdays. Another person is Brandon, who actually went out of his way to come pick me up from school two days a week to take me to work. My friends giving me a ride to school has shown me that my friends do love me, just in a different way from my family.