The Power of Music

Duncan - Chesapeake, Virginia

Car base thumping, music blearing, and the windows down I will not go deaf from the loud music, so loud that my parents refuse to ride with me when I play it, coming from Lil Jon or Crime Mob. This is the way I like to ride to my soccer games because its puts me in the right mood and mindset to focus on my game.

I believe that music can have a very strong affect on emotions. In movies, music is very important in helping the filmmaker create a suspenseful moment or further contribute to a scene of high emotion such as when a main character dies. At sporting events music is used to hype up the crowd while at funerals, slow drawn out music slows down everyone so they can remember the deceased. Many people use music as I do, to set them in the mood for a game.

In a horror movie, the music may start out slow and low and gradually speed up to simulate the character’s heart as they grow frightened before the monster gets them. For highly dramatic movies music ranges from slow to fast depending on the character. For example a big slow moving character would have slower music than the others so create a comical thought about the character whenever you hear the slow music being played. The speed of the scene also depends on music such as when a man is shown running in slow motion the music will be slow and rhythmic as apposed to a high speed car chase where very quick short music is used to match the speed of the characters.

Sporting events use music to “get the fans involved.” The stadium plays “YMCA” and other involvement songs to keep the crowd involved and active. When the home team scores to tie or take the lead in a game, victory music is played to keep the crowd’s adrenaline up.

Funerals are the complete opposite of major sporting events. Instead of involving the crowd through loud and upbeat music, funerals use slow, soft depressing music. The slow music helps people to remember the deceased through the smooth tunes usually played by a piano or an organ. Not all funerals are like this though; some are a celebration on a person’s life rather than a remembrance. These celebrations usually play upbeat sing-a-long songs to let the crowd enjoy the life of the deceased, but also have a few slow songs for those who need to mourn rather than celebrate.

On my ride home from the game I have to cool down someway and I return to music to help me. I will play some oldies music such as Ray Charles or Beach Boys. Music has an affect on many people’s life and different kinds of music have different effects. More that anything, music can set a mood easier and have the greatest affect on emotions.