Vy - virginia beach, Virginia

“I believe that the children are our future, teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside” are the lyrics from the hit song “Greatest Love of All,” performed by Whitney Houston. The message that she tried to convey from her song was quite literal, the children are our future, and it is our responsibility to prepare them for their adult lives. This message is timelessly true, and yet it seems that we have forgotten what Whitney Houston’s song was trying to relay. Parents of today do not set enough of their time aside to mentor their children. They are quick to prioritize their careers, social lives and their free time over time that could be spent to mold their child’s foundation. As result, we see more and more children growing up with weaker academic skills, poor social habits and fewer morals.

It is the norm today for parents to use television to occupy their children’s time. On a weekly basis, children from the age of six to sixteen spend anywhere from twenty to thirty hours watching television. This is outrageous compared to the average time these children spend with their parents on a weekly basis, which ranges from six to ten hours. The result of this practice is that television becomes more of a mentor to these children then their parent. These children will watch shows that promote indecent behaviors, underage drinking and think of these activities as acceptable behavior in real life. They will also build a false priority, and base their lives around partying, sex, drugs and spending money for useless materials. If these types of behaviors are not contained, these children will grow up to be adults who are irresponsible and are burden onto society.

It is never too late for these parents to veer their children back onto the right paths in life. All it takes is a few moments of their time to sit down with their children, and discuss things that are relevant in their children’s lives. This will strengthen the relationship between the parent and their child. As result, these children will build a stronger bond with their parents and look onto them for guidance. I do believe that the children are our future, and given the right amount of insight, they will be able to grow up sharing their inner beauty with the world.