Joe - Greenwood Village, Colorado
Themes: setbacks

Face the Music

How many times have you heard the expression, “what doesn’t kill you can only make you stronger?” Yes, these are some very wise words, but they are not entirely true. You see, merely being hit with adversity can not make you stronger. The way you choose to take that hit, however, can make you tough, will reveal who you are, will define who you become.

We experience problems, or setbacks, every day of our lives. Whether its small, like forgetting to set the alarm, or bigger, like losing a job, there are always two paths to choose. When you meet an unexpected roadblock, what do you do? How do you react? My mom went through some extremely rough times growing up. Her dad left when she was young, her mom barely had enough money to put food on the table, and she was sexually assaulted as a teenager. Today, my mom is my biggest role model, and although she is only five foot eight, she is one of the strongest people I know. She is hard working, caring, selfless and loving, the way I want to be when I grow up. I believe it’s because of the paths she chose when she ran into difficulty. I believe she chose to face the music; to take these troubles in stride, to rise up and overcome, to keep on chuggin’, when it probably would have been easier to cower away and feel sorry for her self. Our decisions in the face of adversity, like my mom’s, shape us. They decide how much weaker or stronger we become. Joshua J. Marine put it this way, “Challenges are what make life difficult; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” This I believe.