Jayce - 22485, Virginia

I believe that you should always strive to be better. If you don’t strive to be better you aren’t really making any progress in life and you have nothing to show for what you have done. Striving to improve presents us with new and exciting goals. Every day new discoveries are made, records are set, and challenges are found, but none of which would be possible if we did not strive to be better.

It should pertain to every aspect of life, not just the important ones, but the minor ones as well. It is not something that should only be done when you feel like it, but should be done each and every day. For instance, you should study just as hard for any quiz or test as you would the SAT. I guarantee our lives would never change if we were to do the same thing day in and day out, and not trying to improve on it. You also will never know how good you can really be unless push yourself to your limits and strive to achieve all that you are truly capable of.

I learned this lesson the hard way when I went to King George High School. To me, my high school experience was simply another unimportant task of which I was required to do every day. I never really tried and did what was only needed to get by. This resulted in my overall grade point average being lower that I had hoped. I feel like I cheated myself out of a once in a life time opportunity that I will never get the chance for again. Not a day goes by that I don’t regret not trying just a little harder. I know that if I had, the reward would have been well worth the extra effort.

This extra effort could have potentially changed where I am today. If I had only tried, I might have received higher scores on my SAT’s. If I had only tried, I might have received a higher GPA in my years at King George High School. Above all, if I had tried, I would be attending my first pick for college instead of my second.

What I am trying to say is that you should never settle for anything less that your best regardless of how unimportant you might think something is. Not only will you most likely regret it later in life, but you shouldn’t cheat yourself out of opportunities to better or improve yourself. Striving to be better will only help you in the long run and it is something that every person should try to achieve.