Clara - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: carpe diem

Living in the Moment

Every day is unique. Events take place that we can not afford to miss because they really impact our lives. That is why I believe in living in the moment.

Some of the best moments in life are the ones that we do not usually appreciate, but these are actually the moments we live for. As an outdoors type of person, I go on hikes and rock climb with my family all the time. After a hard, exhausting climb in the heat of summer I lift my head up to find myself looking down at other mountains, and feeling a sudden breeze at the top of the mountain that relaxes me and causes me to increase my love of the reward I receive for making it all the way. Just the feeling of being somewhere that is not surrounded by man made creations and just enjoying the view of being so high up is an incredible feeling. I believe in living in the moment because the world is changing around us all the time and we never know when something we take for granted is going to disappear.

I am the type of person that believes in a connection between society and nature, and nature is an aspect of our world that we often take for granted, even though it is shrinking around us. This is one reason I try to enjoy small moments as they come while I can still be thankful for them.

One good example of specific moments I try to enjoy while they last is sitting around the campfire. Restrictions on having a fire when camping are constantly increasing, and I am afraid of losing that privilege. Sometimes we are impacted by these small events and we don’t even realize it.

Another privilege we often take for granted is having choices to try new things. The thrill of experimentation motivates many people, including myself, so when I travel to another country I don’t eat the same food I can at home, because the opportunity may never come again.

Because of some of the experiences I have had that help me love the small and simple scenes in life, I definitely can say that living in the moment is one concept I will always believe in and one that is extremely meaningful to me.