Kelsie - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Kelsie Lambeth

11/15/07

This I Believe Essay

p. 3

“Make good choices, honey!”

“Make good choices, honey!” How many of us have ever heard that from our parents? Hearing them nag and nag at you can get pretty annoying; take it from me, I get it all the time. But have you ever thought that they might actually be telling you something really important? They want you to make good choices so that you don’t mess up, so how do you do that? Is not drinking enough? How about if you just don’t do drugs? Ok, well how about if you don’t have sex? Or, how about you respect yourself.

Self respect is a big part of my life. It has helped to become who I am today. My faith plays a big part in that, but nonetheless, it’s a good quality to have. Think about it, if you didn’t have self respect, would you even get up in the morning, take a shower, and take care of yourself? Going beyond that, would you be willing to give up something like your virginity to someone? Without self respect, you’ve pretty much set yourself up for failure.

I have learned from my parents about how important it is to respect myself. Not just so I don’t lose my virginity, but so I will be able to get out of a situation I may not feel comfortable in. They have told me that they will always be there for me, even when I do mess up. And trust me, no matter how hard we try, we are human and will mess up. Not to say that self respect well keep you from messing up but it will help you know what to do if you are in an uncomfortable situation. It will help you “know what to do, when you don’t know what to do.”

I hope and pray that with self respect you will be able to live your life without being pushed around and pressured into doing things you don’t feel comfortable doing. Self respect will ultimately help you make good choices, as well as know how to get out of bad situations. So next time your parents tell you to, “make good choices,” stop and think about what they really mean before you just walk out the door and blow them off.