Ashley - 80122, Colorado
Themes: golden rule

Living by the Golden Rule

Growing up, my mom taught me to listen, follow directions and treat others as I would like to be treated. Throughout my life many beliefs, theories and lessons have been presented to me, and helped shape who I am today. The one lesson I like to base the way I live my life upon is the “Golden Rule”. A little ironic that this lesson should be my favorite since that is my last name, but that is the rule I live by.

I believe we must treat others as we would like to be treated. This I believe because isn’t it fair that if we treat someone poorly they should have the right to treat us that way in return? And in the same respect wouldn’t it be nice if others would be kind to us if we are kind to them?

This same idea can be expressed as Karma or Eye for an Eye. I think the three terms carry the same basic principle, but each differs from the other a little. When I am mean to my sister and laugh at her when she slips on the kitchen floor, then two seconds later the piece of pizza I was going to eat for lunch explodes in the microwave, my mom simply says…karma. Eye for an eye is more like my sister getting mad at me for drinking her Gatorade so she hits me until it turns into a full out brawl. An example of the golden rule would probably be more along the lines of smiling at a lady in the supermarket and receiving one in return.

I find no reason whatsoever to treat people without respect. Each human being deserves respect and will receive it from me until they have done something to lose it. I see no point in being mean to people because I have learned that you make many friends when you keep a smile on your face and stay cheery. I believe the world would be a better place if everyone treated others with respect and dignity. The only excuse for treating others with a less than kind attitude is if they are your siblings. In that case I find it fair game to throw shoes out the window or pour dishwasher detergent in their cereal…all in good fun of course.

I firmly believe that a simple smile or a little conversation can go a long way in another person’s life. Some think I am a little too friendly because I am willing to walk right up and talk to another and try to make their day but I know that my few words could make the difference…whatever that may be. I encourage anyone to try living by the golden rule because I know that everyone can use a friend, and treating others with the respect and kindness you would like can make all the difference in the world.