nile - centennial, Colorado
Themes: gratitude

Every one always is telling you, “let it go” or “get over it”. Is it really that easy? I don’t think so. You were once that kid who didn’t want to stop playing with your childish toys and wasn’t ready to let go of your blanky. Although it can be stressful and seem impossible at times, I believe that it is important to learn to let things go, to get over it.

I don’t live with my biological family. I live with my best friend Skyler. It wasn’t easy accepting that my mom had a drug problem and wasn’t capable of supporting three kids. I cried and cried. I told myself it wasn’t true. I hid it from everyone who asked. “Why do you live with Skyler?” my friends would ask, way to offend. Even parents asked the uncomfortable question. I told them “because” and changed the subject. In reality this didn’t help me but made it harder for me to live knowing each day I had something to hide. After living with Skyler for a few months, I couldn’t understand why it was so important for no one to know about my situation. I decided to let it go. Stop hiding my story from everyone and get over it. I gradually started explaining why I live with Skyler when people ask.

It’s not only living with Skyler that I had to let go. I had to let go of my family. Not completely let go of them. But let go of the way we lived. The routines and traditions we followed.

I’ve attended seven schools and moved away from best friends and family too many times. When I moved from upstate New York I couldn’t get over it. I couldn’t accept that I left my friends and my home behind. I was young and although it took years, I got over it. I was able to think of my friends and family who we left behind, and instead of crying, I smiled. I figured, why dwell on the bad things? Think of how fortunate I am to have had the friends or loved ones, or even possessions you had for the time you had them. And just smile.

I’m not necessarily saying to forget your past. Just don’t let the past ruin your future. You should be able to get over hiding your story. I still find difficulty in letting things go but it is something I work on. I believe that letting things go can improve life.