Eric - Centerville, Ohio

Eric Engholm

I Believe

There are hundreds of religions, lifestyle books, and people giving advice, but only you can choose what to believe in or who. Well, when it comes to me what I believe in is simple, hard work.

I know a lot of people probably said this but I believe my case has more truth to it. I play football for my high school and it was probably the best decision I have ever made. My coaches have taught me responsibility, teamwork, making right decisions, and they have shown me how hard work does pay off in the end. My team went 9-3 this year with a loss in the second round of the playoffs to #1 ranked St. Xavier Bombers. To some this may sound like a failure in a season but my team won our conference title, beat our rivals, and finished 5-0 in our conference.

After we lost to St. X last weekend, I started to think how we accomplished all of these feats and I came to the conclusions that they were the results of all of the hard work my team put in. Lifting from December all the way through the season, the 5 a.m. practices 3 days a week, the intense 3 a day practices for 3 weeks, running, running 44 40’s, all of that at the time seemed pointless and dumb but now that I look back on them, I can see that they were not dumb or pointless but rather they were preparing myself and my team for the road ahead this season. I can remember times in a game when the other team would be winning and I would just think to myself that the guy in front didn’t work as hard as me, didn’t run as much or as hard as me, didn’t wake up at 5 in the summer, he can’t beat me, he wont beat me. I would feel motivated and filled with energy to prove to the guy in that opposing jersey that he made a big mistake messing with my friends and I because he has no right to ever think he is better than my team.

As I sit here now still thinking and relieving my season that just ended, I can’t help but get excited for next years season, next years lifting sessions, next years summer practices, but most of all, I can’t wait until next year when my team and I can join each other on the field of battle in brotherhood and fight for one another because, it is truly one of the greatest feelings in life when the guy next to you is willing to give it everything he has got and lay it all on the line, on the gridiron, because he knows you will do the same for him, because you both have worked so hard for each other you know there is no way you can fail.