Deja - Centerville, Ohio

Riding in the Slow Lane

I wish I could remember what my grandparents were like before they died. I only remember small things, like my granddad always would take my sister and me to the toy store every time he visited. My grandma was on an oxygen tank before she died. I only remember the small things because I was in such a rush to grow up. I was the only child for six years before my sister was born so I always wanted to be older than I was. I always wanted what my parents had because I was surrounded by them. I believe that we should live life in the slow lane.

Everyday I wish that I didn’t rush myself to grow-up. I want to be kid again when I see my siblings being spoiled with gifts. Now I have two years until I’m officially an adult. I can no longer rely on my parents for money or nourishment anymore. I can barely remember anything about my childhood and I changed schools a lot when I was little so I never really had a best friend. If I did finally find a best friend I would switch schools.

Sometimes, I don’t think I am not ready for the real world. I don’t know how to balance a checkbook or any adult responsibilities I should know. I feel that I live in a sheltered community where most everything is perfect. Nothing ever goes wrong in this community. It’s strange to see that all my friends are ready to leave and start a new life, because they are ready to experience something new. Maybe we need that experience earlier in life so we wouldn’t push ourselves to grow-up. I wish I hadn’t rushed myself to be older than I was. Life just flies by, and now I can never go back.

I think we should slow down our lives. Everyone wants to live in the fast lane where they will eventually run out of gas and forget everything they went through. All the memories that have been accumulated and all the emotional roller coasters we have been through. When riding slowly, you can see and remember all the details that you see outside the window. If only I rode in the slow lane maybe I could remember my grandparents and my childhood.