Megan - Littleton, Colorado

I believe in pursuing happiness.

No one in this world can ever be completely happy. It is human nature to just keep wanting more, even if you can never have what you want; happiness is a natural high. It lifts you up no matter how low you feel. That is why I believe in the pursuit of happiness.

There have been countless times in my life where I have felt depressed and worthless. My mom has recently decided to divorce my dad. My mom, brothers and I have known for a long time that the divorce would be happening soon. My dad, however, doesn’t want to let his family fall apart like this. He wants all of us to live under the same roof and continue on being “happy”, even though it would only be artificial.

It has been really hard, especially for me, because my brothers are younger than me. Both of my parents believe that they should be sheltered from everything that goes on in their relationship because they are so young. In the process of sheltering them, they forget about me. It is really unfair so I have to look for happiness from people other than my family.

Happiness is the force that lifts you up when you’re feeling down. It does not come to you freely, so you have to go out and search for happiness. I found that happiness through my friends. Even though my family life is not the best, I can always go to my friends and they will be my family. They know exactly how to cheer me up and give me the best advice. No matter how bad I feel after being around my family, I know I can go to any and all of my friends and just cry on their shoulders, without being judged or laughed at.

Also, pursuing happiness gives me something to do to preoccupy myself. If I was pursuing that natural high of happiness, I would not have time to dwell on the sad aspects of my life. All I want to do is find that one thing that will lift my spirits. My mind is set on anything that makes me happy and the sad and depressing thoughts I may have are pushed aside. Nothing can get in my way once I know that I truly just want to be happy.

Personally, pursuing happiness keeps me going. When I am sad, I don’t think about hurting myself or taking things out on other people. I just look for that natural high and eventually, I find it.