Mikenna rase - Centennial, Colorado

Keeping the Faith

By: Mikenna Rase

Faith is a beautiful thing. It can be found in the smallest places. I didn’t realize that mine came from a little blonde headed three year old standing beneath me asking for a bed time story before it was time for her to put an end to the days rest. I gently picked her up and carried her to her room at the top of the stairs. I then laid her down onto her bed and began rifling through her book basket for a story to read. It wasn’t until I turned around that I saw her looking at a book made of blue construction paper laying on her night-stand. I asked her what it was and I suddenly saw a wide grin spread across her face. “Kenna,” she said, “This is my God book and I want to read it to you. I maked it all by myself.” I smiled at her sweet vocabulary and told her I would love for her to read it to me. She excitedly reached over to grab it as I sat on her bed patiently waiting for her to look through the book herself before she could share it with me. Not expecting her to actually read from the book but more so make up her own interpretation of it, I was surprised to see that their was one verse from the bible on each page of the book along with a drawing that she herself had illustrated accordingly. She opened up the first page to Genesis 1:1 that read “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” All the while during the time of the story, she would stop to talk to me about her own interpretation of the verses meaning. When we got to the last page it said “On the seventh day, God rested.” She had no hesitation to tell me she especially liked this day because that was the day God created blankets for her to take naps on. I admire her lack of fearfulness that I might think of her as odd for wanting to share her faith with me. It made me think twice about the way I view my own faith, I tend to hold back like so many others and not speak of it but rather lock it up in a trunk in the back of my mind and discard it almost as if it doesn’t exist. That night I learned an important lesson, you should never let the fear of others hold you back from sharing the truth. This I believe, Faith is something to share, not just to keep folded in the back of your mind. Never in a million years would I have thought that I would have learned this lesson from a three year old little girl.