Brittany - Dayton, Ohio

I believe in standing at 5 feet tall

I believe in standing at 5 feet tall, not letting the world pass me by. I wouldn’t call myself a midget or say I don’t talk to anyone, I just don’t see the world from a Michael Jordan view.

All my life, I have been one of the shorter girls in my group of friends. I’ve never let it get to me or made a big deal about being short because I know waking up each day, I’m not going to get any taller. Shortness is not something that I’ve had a problem with, I walk the halls of a larger school called Centerville High School and realized that I’m not the only one who can’t reach the book on the top shelf. I work at a popular little restaurant called Skyline Chili right down the street from me, I work at a busser and a cashier at the moment, in the back, the bus pans are stacked high on a metal cart that little me has to ask or use a stool to get one down. Being short has advantages too, like not having to buy the largest shirt in the pile, or being able to buy the jeans on sale that usually say “S” for short. My mother stands at 5’2” tall and my father at 5’8”, so I’ve seen where I get the genes from. I tend to drive my dads new gold Chevy trail blazer and when I do, I make sure to take a pillow with me before I leave the house, so I can see out the window. In the warm weather down in this small town of Centerville we have the stand packed for our high school football games, and during the cold weather, the gym packed for basketball games and I look at all the taller people wondering what it would feel like to shoot a 3-pointer or catch a touchdown standing up, but then I realize once again my height is going anywhere except for 5 foot one. Looking at old photographs of being on your tip-toes to hug and kiss loved ones just makes the memories seem more real to me. The girls and I will go shopping, or hang out at each other’s houses, as best friends we’ll all stand in the dressing room and look in the mirror giggling on how their heads come up at about the same height, while I’m basically at their chest.

In the end, I’m still a brown-haired, blue-eyed, 5 ft. one girl who realizes I have a life ahead of me. I still make time for school, friends, work, and learning how to drive. My height was never an issue for me in my 17 years of life, I have plans for my future and more important worries and consequences to take on because I’ve learned my height can’t change who I am as a human being, that’s my responsibility and only I can fill the role for that part.