Louise - Centennial, Colorado
Themes: change

”The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.”-James Branch Cabell

Change is a strange thing. It seems to come up when you least expect it to. Whether the change in your life ends up good or bad, there is no doubt that it can easily pop your bubble, or push you out of your safety zone. I believe that while change can be startling, in the end it turns out to be just the thing you needed. I have come to learn that it can be the single thing that turns your life around and gives you a second chance.

Eighth grade is supposed to be the best year of middle school. You are the oldest kid, all of the underclassmen look up to you, and you are just steps away from high school. This is not how eighth grade turned out for me. As high school came closer and closer, it was time for me to choose a high school. As my parents and I looked into it further, it became clear that none of the options in our area were the right fit for me and that we would have to move. We looked at houses in tons of different areas, some were really nice and some were dumps. Part of me really wanted the excitement of a new house and new neighbors and just general new surroundings, but there was also the part of me that wanted to stay with the things that were familiar.

A week or two into November, we found the perfect house. I loved it, my room was huge and the neighborhood had so much character. However this new house was miles away from my old life; my friends, my school. For a while, we tried the long commute to my old school, but that had major flaws. At semester, I changed schools. I left my comfortable, well known surroundings and good friends for a new situation where I knew one person.

On my first day I was full of excitement, but I was also very nervous. This was an entirely new place, who knew what these people were going to be like. I did my best to remain positive but there was always my underlying fear of rejection.

Looking back on that day, it went almost flawlessly. I found that I fit in very well there, maybe even better than I had at my old school. Even in the first week I had made a lot of really good friends. The best in that situation was clear, even though I had left a lot behind, I had the chance to start fresh and I was pretty sure that I was really going to like my new life.