Nicole - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that distance makes things farther from home, but closer to heart. Distance can make or break a relationship and it just shows what is really worth fighting for. When I was little, my parents would read me stories about princesses who would be locked up in a tower for most of their life, but prince charming never forgot about her and never stopped fighting. I was always surprised that the prince never just moved on or gave up because of all the obstacles that came between them.

As I grew up, being alone became a familiar feeling for me. All my life I have had important people come into my life but leave just as quickly as they came. No one had fought to keep me and nether did I for anyone else. In my eighth grade year, I met someone I knew I would never forget. It was a relationship that came on fast but I held on to it with everything I could. I knew there was something special about it from the beginning and I was not going to let this person just walk out like all the rest. We were awkward at first and made each other nervous but there was a certain comfort we found in each other that I didn’t have with anyone else. When they moved away that summer, I was so afraid that our friendship would soon fade away with all the obstacles that would come between us. There were plenty of tears shed that day as we said goodbye for what I thought would be our last time.

I found myself, much like the prince, unwilling to move on without a fight. We are now a thousand miles apart, and yet we haven’t gone a day without talking since the day she left. We are closer now than ever and miles can’t change that. There are times when all I can think about is their absence from me and the fight is much harder than ever but I don’t give up because I know that miles are only a physical barrier and the heart can travel much farther than body or mind.

It may not be as simple as a fairy tale but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth getting a happy ending. I am still afraid of getting hurt and growing apart but I believe in taking risks. I believe in fighting for what’s important. I believe in putting your heart on the line. But most of all I believe that distance won’t change a relationship if you don’t let it.