Kristin - Centerville, Ohio

I believe that dogs are the only ones who can give true unconditional love. Many people in America own a dog. The reason so many own a dog is because they are in need of someone who can provide them with an unconditional love as long as they live. “He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” – Unknown. In America it is very difficult to find unconditional love from any human being, as nice as they maybe. That is why most people find it in a dog. I am a dog owner my self and I have realized that no matter how terrible, or awful of a mistake I have made, my dog still loves me as he did before. Some people get their dogs as mutts from shelters and some get their dogs as purebreds from breeders, honestly it doesn’t matter, every dog no matter where it was purchased or found, still provides you with an unconditional love. I know this because I have experienced it. This is my story.

Rylee was my cousin Kelsey and my dog. My aunt and uncle got him when we were babies and both my parents worked so I stayed with my aunt and uncle. To us Rylee was our big furry pet, but to him he was our protector and would make sure no one would ever hurt us. Sometimes blocks or toys would hit him on the head by accident, but he didn’t mind, he loved us unconditionally.

When I was young, I was diagnosed with anxiety and obsession compulsive disorder. With the thoughts of fear running constantly through my head, I felt like crawling in a ball and never coming out. I never honestly felt safe anywhere I was, accept when I was with my dog. My dog was able to make any day better. I remember one time I spent the night at my aunt’s house, I was terrified with the constant thought in my head wanting to know if my mom was going to be ok. As I was in bed shaking and crying Rylee came over to me. He sat down beside me and licked my hand till I stopped crying. When I stopped, he looked up and me and began to lick all the tears off my face. He knew something was wrong and he stayed next to me all night long. Even though my aunt and cousin Kelsey did as well, there was something about Rylee that made everything better. That night I realized that dogs know when something is wrong and truly have an unconditional love for their family and friends.