Olivia - Dayton, Ohio

I Believe In the Power of Having a Dad

Do you know what it feels like to have your family destroyed? I do. I used to have everything in the palm of my hand, until one day my world came crashing down.

“I’ll be moving out soon.” The worst words I have ever heard come out of my dad’s mouth, besides of course “Your mom and I are getting a divorce.”

It happened in October 2003, I was twelve years old. I had always pictured my mom and dad growing old together and spending forever with each other, just like any typical kids dream. They had been married for twenty years, so I thought nothing could go wrong. We were such a happy family, we did everything together from vacations to going grocery shopping, and then everything changed over night.

I remember being so confused. I had no idea why my parents were getting divorced. My dad wouldn’t tell me why, he told me it would ruin our relationship. I also remember being so mad at my dad for telling me he was moving out. I had hoped they would work everything out and get back together. The one thing I remember the most was crying. I cried because I was hurt, I cried because my family was being torn apart. I had never felt a pain like that before. It was the worst feeling I have ever felt, I can’t even describe how much it affected me. Not only did it affect my life at home it affected my life at school and with my friends. I am a totally different person now, and I realize what it’s like to not have a parent around and how important it is to have father figure there for you.

After all I’ve been through I still love my dad. I just miss having him around. I hardly see him and when I do he’s to busy to notice the small things about me. If I could wish for one thing I would wish for my family to be the way it was before October 2003, when my life was the way every kids should be.