Marissa - Littleton, Colorado

“All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.” This is what Winston Churchill has to say about freedom and I completely agree. Freedom is a very great, simple concept that always seems to be questioned.

Freedom is one of those many things that we as Americans have, but yet often take for granted. For hundreds of years, Americans have fought to preserve this right, and still today America’s freedom is threatened.

I am very grateful to be an American. I enjoy all of the freedoms that America has to offer, but think of all the freedoms that we sometimes take for granted. We have freedom of speech, in which we have the right to have opinions and say what we want. We have freedom of religion, so, we have the right to choose a religion and practice it openly. We also have many other freedoms such as the freedom to vote.

I have had freedom since I was born, so it is difficult to think about what it would be like to not have freedom. What if the United States were to be like some of those other countries that don’t even know what freedom is? What if we weren’t free and were ruled by a dictator? What if we were told what we could and couldn’t say and didn’t have freedom of speech? What if we were told what to believe and would be punished if we practiced some other religion?

It is something so unfamiliar to us that we wouldn’t even know what to do. I am thankful every day for the opportunities and the choices I am given.

I strongly believe that we as Americans should cherish our freedom, fight for the right to maintain that freedom and stand up for what our country was founded on. Think about what our world would be like if other countries all over the world would have the freedoms that the United States has.