Matthew - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Money can be a very powerful motivator, but even the all-powerful dollar falls short of the effect of some good encouragement. I believe in the power of simple things like a little encouragement and support. A kind word, a compliment and a smile encourages and motivates someone much more than any dollar amount would, and it shows.

Everyone has experienced the effect of someone else’s support at one time. For me, the most memorable time was when my greatest ambition was to become a good artist. When I looked at my art, however, all I saw were the amatuerish scribbles left by my inexperienced hand. I gave up for a while, until a much more experienced artist began complimenting me and offering advice. I was astounded that anyone would want to help me, and I wouldn’t trade an expierence like that for any amount of money. As a result of the encouragement offered to me, I continued to draw, and my art has improved an astounding amount.

When reports or papers used to come around in school, I had a tendancy to leave them to the day before they were due. In one case, it was a paper that I had six months to write. That’s six months. An entire half a year, and I left the paper till the day before it was due. Needless to say, I needed a little support to get everything done. Supprisingly, I got the paper done and got an “-A”. I don’t think I would have been able to do anything without the support my parents gave me.

When you find something that you wouldn’t trade for any amount of money, you should hang onto it throughout your life. I’ve found a few of those things, and none of them are material. The two examples I gave of support in my life are two big things I’ll be hanging on to. The nice thing about support and encouragement is that anyone can give it, anyone can recieve it, and sometimes it’s worth more than you can imagine.