Aaron - Centennial, Colorado

I believe that music has the power to change the world. I recently saw an ad on TV for LG. It was talking about how they were partnering with VH1 to “Save the Music”. I started thinking about a world without music, but I couldn’t. A world without music would be like a world without color, a world without self-expression, a world without the human element, a world without the Sun, a world without system, a world that has no heart, a world with no God. It would be a world that is lost. One that is dazed and confused. A world that has no passion. I wondered why we needed to save the wonder that is music. Music means so much more to me.

Music, to me, is the passion of society, the art of the world, the common tongue of every nation. It has made my life so much better. I can write and play music, and, even see it as a Monet painting, an Einstein theory, a Tom Brady touchdown. I see it as a masterpiece: perfection. Music captures the imagination and attention of others. It is not a temporary catch though; it withstands time. It stays on the world’s iPods, gets stuck in their heads, and it is hummed and tapped and thought about by the sub-conscious of the human mind.

Music means so much more than a bunch of symbols on lines that make a sound when played. It means that I can get lost, but be found again. I could spend hours just playing classical like Bach, Mozart, and Vivaldi. Just as poker needs some cards, an instrument is always needed. Whether this is John Lennon’s guitar or a beautiful Stradivarius violin, it will still bring joy. It will remind me of a song. It will trigger a memory of drumming on my grandfather’s stomach, of my first concert I played, the moment I got an electric bass guitar or new violin, the annoying song I heard on the radio, the last song I listened to on my iPod, maybe even the song I composed.

Music truly will, and has, changed the world. The protest songs of the 60’s and 70’s didn’t work in bringing the United States out of Vietnam, but it left a legacy for that war back home. It might have just been a bug on the windshield of that time period, but that little bug was still out of reach of the wipers to get wiped away into the chaos that is called history. Music brings color to the world, shows self-expression, shows the glory of God, brings order to chaos, gives a heart to the tin-man’s of the world, and is a passion like no other. It brings warmth to the cold, strength to the broken, and love to the lost. It will always be here, there is no need to “Save the Music”. It will withstand time. And will always be with me, wherever I go.