Jeffrey - Centennial, Colorado

Fast, quick, instant, spontaneous! This is what society is and how it expects nearly every aspect of life to be. I believe that society is too fast. Everybody does things fast. Everybody expects things to be fast. Things have gotten so fast, that people have become lazy. They have stopped appreciating how short life really is because the things take up nearly as much time as they used to. Everybody is so sure that they have all the time in the world; they start to forget how little time they actually do have. A large number of people around the world have shopped online at some point in their lives. Society now has the capability to shop without having to take the time to drive to the store, find the products, pay for them, and then drive back home. Now, they can click a couple of times on a website (that they probably pulled up with a high speed internet connection) and, bam!, its yours and all you did was sit there. There is even one major online shopping site that has introduced “one-click” shopping. Is society really that obsessed with conserving time that they won’t take the additional half-a-second to click twice or maybe even three times? Do people really argue over weather it is worth it to buy something if they have to click once more? It probably took you about eight times as long to rethink it than it would have to have just clicked again! The incredible speeds that technology provides are making society think that they are saving time and that they have more time to spend than they actually do.

Not only do people expect everything around them to be fast, they also do things too fast. They try to draw conclusions before knowing all of the facts. They judge people that they don’t know and may never meet. Even if you don’t realize it, you almost certainly make some kind of judgment about a person without knowing them or without hearing their side of things. There is a Peanuts cartoon where Linus draws a man with his hands behind his back. Charlie Brown looks at the picture, and tells Linus that the man must be insecure since his hands are behind his back. Linus simply responds, “No, I just can’t draw hands”. Not only is Charlie Brown trying to get to a conclusion as quickly as possible, he is being judgmental of the man in the picture.

People want as much time to do what they want as possible, so they do things faster, make things faster, and even make themselves fast in order to accomplish this. This I believe.