Lauren - Centennial, Colorado

Why should our image be bleak?

A few days ago I was sitting in class just waiting and waiting for that bell to ring when I heard one of my classmates whisper to another classmate telling her about a party she had gotten drunk at over the weekend.

This girl wasn’t any older then 15 years old. I began to think about how angry I always became when adults would claim teenagers to be dangerous threats to society, but now I’m beginning to think differently. After entering high school I have met people who have gotten drunk, smoked pot, and driven recklessly. It’s strange to me when I hear about young people doing these things. The thought to get drunk or do drugs has never once crossed my mind but it seems so many of my peers fall to it. So can you blame adults for being wary of kids ages 14-19? One year ago I went with a group of friends to a battle of the bands competition downtown. The area wasn’t very “high class” if you will, and I will admit to being a little nervous. Beforehand my parents had told me not to leave the theater that the competition was being held in without an adult. Of course all my friend’s parents had warned them about the same things. Later on in the evening however, the group of people I was with went outside and got cigarettes from a group of older teens. I was disgusted with the fact that they gave cigarettes to young kids and even more disgusted with the fact that my friends took them. I will never regret my decision not to smoke that day.

I believe in keeping promises. That same day downtown my friends had all made promises to their parents not the leave the theater yet they all did. Maybe it was only to go down the street to a fast food restaurant but it was still a broken promise. What if something had happened to them? Their parents would probably be very ashamed at their irresponsibility. I believe in keeping my promises and that is why a close friend and I stayed at the theater that day.

I believe in trust and responsibility. I am the future and so are all my peers. Let us light the way to a successful future and not portray such a bleak image of our age.