The Key to a Future

Charles - Virginia Beach, Virginia
Themes: children, legacy

I believe that every child should have people in their lives that they look up to. Key people in their life could help them achieve success in the future. Even if there is not a support system at home, someone outside of a home that a child looks up to could greatly help. That role model can be there for the child to talk to and to support them through tough times. Growing up was rough without a father figure living with my brother, my sister, and me. I was sort of a troublemaker. My mom was working two jobs but she was doing the best she could.

I remember my 5th grade teacher, Mr. Henry. He stopped me from getting into a fight one time. He told me to stay back after school as punishment, but he ended up helping me out with some work that I did not understand. He always told me that one day I would grow up to become a great and intelligent man. I felt very calm and relaxed when I was around him. I became his teacher’s pet in a way but I did not care what the other kids thought. I told him that I wanted to be just like him when I was all grown up but he told me that he wanted me to be better than him; I will never forget that. Even though I have lost touch with him, I will always remember what he taught me: always believe in yourself and follow your dream.

I remember playing basketball with Kevin. I looked up to him like a big brother. I was a 6th grader and he was a senior in high school. He kept me out of trouble and always told me to do the right thing. I remember following he everywhere that he went just to be as cool as he was. I relive all the moments that we shared. I had some funny memories of us. When he died in a shooting, I was devastated. I know that he is looking down on me, so that made me a stronger person and more determined to succeed in life.

I remember the times that I shared with my amazing mom. There were times that I just wanted to give up but she would never let that happen. My mom is a strong and independent woman, that’s why I admire her so much. I remember asking her for help with school work, and she would stop whatever she was doing to try to help. When report cards came out, she was always at the door with her hand out to see my grades. I was the first in my family to graduate from high school and to go to college. I remember thanking her with tears running down my face. Even to this day my mom is my major support system. Even though she is overprotective and treats me too much like a baby, I know she loves me.

I am grateful for all the people who helped me succeed so far in life and for all that they have given me. They have been there in parts of my life to pick me up when I fall. Now it’s my turn to be a role model for other children. I want to give other children the same support system that I received. I believe that every child should have someone who is very special to them. It will prove to have a positive effect on his or her life.