Matt - Centennial, Colorado

The secret to life, otherwise known as humor

“Humor is by far the most significant activity of the human brain” – Bono. I believe in humor. Humor is something that everyone needs to. This isn’t an ad for some product, or maybe it is. Get some humor today! It’s free! “ I used humor and my life has been changed for ever” Pick up some humor before you go anywhere just to be prepared. This is what I mean. Have humor, even while typing.

If you can find humor in anything life is great. I decided to live a humor life when I was a small child. Before that I just sat around, didn’t even take the time to eat, I hade a tube. After that I had a life changing experience. I was born. After that I tried to have humor whenever and wherever. I would play with my toys, my parents, and my younger brother. Soon though, I had to start school. That time is when I discovered humor. While sitting at my desk I began to think of funny things, which explains my brain development since then. This wasn’t even peek-a-boo stuff; this was real humor, well, almost. As I kept trying I got better at it, and then started actually saying the stuff. I realized that this was funny, in an environment where humor was strictly discouraged, that’s right, first grade.

This is where I made another shocking discovery… writing could be funny! I had been struggling with writing good stories until I realized that it could be incorporated with humor, and that made it enjoyable to write. My writing began to evolve. On assignments, I would include absurd stories, and subtle jokes. This is how I began to love writing, but how can I have humor in a high school environment at the age where depression is so common? I have been doing different things, just ask my English teacher. She’ll tell you about the time I wrote an entire story on a spelling test because my sentence sparked one. Also about whenever we have a vocabulary project, my project is always odd, but very funny.

But why is humor so good? For one it helps keeps life on the positive side. You know the guy who is always, making jokes, and just having fun. Those people never appear sad or depressed those are my idols. And I believe they should be everyone’s idols, because if everyone was like them the world would be a much happier place. Humor, the be all end all, is the solution to every problem. Any situation can be helped by an easy joke, to lighten the mood. “A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done.” Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 – 1969). This quote pretty much sums up my point, without humor, the world is pretty bland.