Ashley - Lexington, Ohio

The Big Benefit

I believe in the impossible. Or rather, I believe in something impossible. I believe that everyone should have an older brother. Of course, that’s never going to happen; someone has to be the oldest. But I think it would be nice. I certainly can’t imagine my own life without my big brother. He’s been a friend, a protector, a teacher, an opponent, and, occasionally, an annoyance. I like knowing that whatever happens, I will always have a claim on him. I pity those who don’t have this comfort, whether in a big brother or an older sister.

My brother is three years older than I am, which seems perfect. He’s young enough to remember being my age, but old enough to remember it with some perspective. He already knows most of what I’m learning in school, so he can help whenever I need it. An older brother is like a school security system. Even if he’s far away, he’s always willing to explain a physics problem or proofread an essay. I never have to worry if I don’t understand the teacher; I have a built-in teacher at home.

I get along quite well with my older brother. He’s interesting, hilarious, and very smart. He’s almost like a friend, except that no friend could be as annoying. However, he is also the friend that is always there, the friend that can never desert me. He is the one friend that I will always spend time with, even if one of us moves to the other side of the world. He’s grown up in my house; that bond can’t be broken easily. And yet, it’s not the same as the bond between a parent and a child. We’re almost the same age; he understands what is happening in my life. We have similar interests, similar taste in music, and we find the same things funny. An older brother is an extension of his younger sister; no matter how different they appear to the world, the fundamentals – the values, the genetics – are the same.

An older brother is also a protector, and mine is no exception. In his eyes, he’s the only one who can insult me. If anyone else said something bad about me or tried to hurt me, he wouldn’t let them. He’s not into fighting, but I think he would fight for me, if only with words. This protective instinct is built into every older brother. When we were younger, we fought of course, sometimes even physically. And today, we still compete. But, he’s not about to let someone else beat me. No matter how old I get, I will always be his “little sister.”

I can’t imagine my life without the convenience, the comfort, that is my big brother. He’s three states away now, in college, and he’s still there for me. If every girl had an older brother, the world would rotate more smoothly. This particular brand of sibling love has no competition. This I believe.