Madeline - Centerville, Ohio

Peoples Decisions Change Others Lives…This I Believe

Waking up in the middle of the night to the house phone ringing curious to find out who’s calling so secretively listening in and finding out it is a cop after he committed a crime, listening to the constant arguments because advice on good decisions went in one of his ear and out the other, and lastly hearing the banging on his bedroom door because he did not know right from wrong. Not only did I witness all of this but my heart and soul listened as well. I have learned a lot in life but I have learned more than anything from my brothers’ bad decisions.

Growing up my brother, Jesse, and I got along best out of a family of five kids. He taught me so much; how to be tough, how to be physical, how to never give up. He didn’t mean to teach me that but he did because he would plow me to the ground in backyard football and stuff me in the face while playing basketball. But later on in life, Jesse taught me more mentally then ever physically possible.

When Jesse was in high school, I was in middle school. He started to become distant from the family and not be around for dinner, he became very independent. Jesse started smoking pot and drinking, every weekend going to parties, and getting caught with illegal substances by the police. He struggled to graduate and didn’t even apply to any college but Sinclair. He soon decided to move to Dayton with some friend and also buy a car, but Jesse never had a steady job for the money. Mom would still call Jesse and let him know we were having dinner; he would come and eat a few plates, and take even more food home with him. One day Mom got a phone call from our second cousin, she was calling to give a little heads up on the fact Jesse was living in his car after he couldn’t afford his house. My mom made him move back in the house, but he is now nineteen and still parties. He missed out on so many opportunities and better times he could have had. Not because Jesse and I were so alike did this hurt me but also because I knew he was intelligent enough to be in a better place. He is much smarter than me if he would just try, but he isn’t giving life his all. I learned to do it for my own life; I have become so driven so my life is worth living because of Jesse. I have decided if his decisions aren’t going to change him before its too late, then they will at least change my ways before I could mess up. Although it hurts so bad, I believe other peoples decisions change others lives because seeing one you love not succeed the way they could kills your insides and makes you determined to be everything you can.