Stephanie - Centennial, Colorado

Smiles and Laughter

There is always something to smile about, even in the saddest of times. When I was younger, I thought everyone was happy. Everyone around me acted happy, I was sheltered from all other emotions. As I grew older, I started seeing different emotions that had been hidden from my perfect little world. I started to actually pay attention to the people around me and their lives. The world seems like such a perfect place when your little, I always wished it could stay that way. As the years passed, happiness seemed to disappear little by little in my perfect world, as I watched someone close to me slowly pass away.

My aunt was always the life of the party. She was always happy and always trying to make everyone else happy too. She was everything to me, until her health started to go downhill. Despite everything she always wore that perfect smile on her face. I will always remember her laughing eyes, they had a special twinkle in them; they were smiling eyes. She always thought she had “Chinese” eyes, every time someone tried to take her picture she tried her hardest not to squint. It always made me laugh, just as she hoped. My aunt is my biggest role model; she was the most important person in the world to me. She helped me believe even in the worst f times, you always have to have hope and a smile on your face. I believe smiles and laughter are the cure for anything and anyone. Watching her slowly pass in front of me has been the hardest part of my life. How could someone so full of life, so caring and selfless die so young? She didn’t deserve it. But I kept strong for her, everyday I saw her there was no sadness allowed. If I wasn’t smiling, she didn’t let me frown for long. When she would call me on Sundays I would be reading, and I wouldn’t talk a lot, she would jokingly get mad and refuse to talk to me until I paid attention to her. She would call my cousin and complain, then constantly call me back until I finally gave up on my book. My aunt has given me so many happy memories, even through her last days of this life. She always knew how to make me laugh, even on those Sundays.

My aunt helped me in a lot of ways that she probably wasn’t expecting. Teaching me to laugh and smile everyday helped me make it through after she was gone. She helped me prepare for my future. I truly believe that if you have hope and you are able to smile through the hardest times, you will be a much stronger person and you will make it.