Catherine - Centennial, Colorado

A phoenix is a mythical creature who lights itself on fire turning itself into a pile of ashes. Once a pile of smoking ashes, this magnificent being is reborn and lives on. The vibrant colors and personality come out better than the first.

What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger. I know a phoenix. She rose from the ashes of her past and became a glowing, vivacious person who I personally admire. Heather is a cousin I have who has so much talent and is pretty darn smart. Love is a blinding force that she fell victim to. This scumbag proposed; she married him. Heather must be a pretty skillful actress, because no one knew her husband had huge issues. He sponged off of her. He couldn’t hold a steady job. Eventually, he walked out without even saying goodbye. Ryan left her drowning under the debt he created and emotional wreckage. In the end this was probably for the best. Heather paid off the entire jerk’s debt and found her dream job. She is now engaged and loving life. Heather went through so much pain and now look at her- happy and in love. The pain made her stronger not necessarily physically but emotionally. I’ve gone through my own pain that has not killed me yet. Tendonitis is defined as the overuse of a tendon most common in athletes. I am diagnosed with bilateral patellar tendonitis which I have had since age 7. I’m not an athlete, this is not self-inflicted. Plainly speaking, I blame my genes. When I take a step I feel a sharp stabbing pain engulf my knees. Imagine not being able to run or just simply walk around the mall without feeling as though your knees are going to snap off. I’ve gone through this pain going on eight years. I now have a very high threshold for pain. High pain tolerance comes in handy if you have braces. But, I believe that because of my knees I’m probably more compassionate and understanding than if I never had to deal with this.

Sisters are female friends and/or protectors that share the same parents. Thankfully I have only one sister to deal with. Carrie can be sassy and jerk-like or my closest friend who I talk with. Through all the fights and bickering the one thing I take from it is that she may be a total pain in the butt, however she has taught me how to deal with situations. She keeps me on my toes. She makes me push through the pain and learn from her mistakes. As her favorite ski slopes motto goes, “No pain, No gain!” This is so much like what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.

One thing I lead my life by is that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Adversity is everywhere in navigating through life. In conclusion, be like the phoenix and rise from the ashes of pain.