Kat - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe in the protection of the unborn children that are absent from the society we live in today due to abortion.

However, I also believe in the right for a woman to choose what is right for her and her body.

I believe that it is easy to make a choice in the moment without evaluating the long-term consequences.

A close friend of mine came to me a few weeks ago, told me that she was pregnant, and sought my advice. She, a typical nineteen-year old, was a proclaimed Christian and had been brought up pro-life, believing that abortion was not only a sin, but murder. Of course, the matter changes a bit when it isn’t just an abstract concept, but your reality. I, having grown up with a fairly liberal mother, was pro-choice but believed that abortion was a very difficult process. Any woman strong enough to terminate the life of another has got to be strong enough to deal with the consequences of her actions, including her own emotions during and after the procedure.

I, personally could never take the life of a child, born or unborn. But I now understand just how difficult that choice is to make. My friend seriously considered taking the abortion pill, which was an option, considering the short amount of time that the baby had been inside her; and then her morals got the best of her. She realized that she could not face herself in the mirror every morning knowing that she had murdered her child- the child she created. She knew that her relationship with God was too strong to make that decision.

God had other plans for her. She had a miscarriage just a week later. She is still coping with the heartache that accompanies losing a child. She and I both can’t imagine how torn apart she would have been if she had made the conscious choice to lose the baby.

It is the emotional impact on the mother and the loss of the child’s life that make abortion, as I have observed, such a traumatic event. I am pro-life because I support the right of women to choose if they can cope with the procedure or not and I do not think it is the government’s job to step in and dictate abortion laws. I do, however, believe that it is among the hardest decisions that a woman seeking an abortion will ever make in her life, and will likely continue to impact her life from that point on.