Laughter

Stephanie - Norfolk, Virginia

I believe the way to find true happiness is through laughter. The best feeling in my life is when I know that I have made someone else laugh. I love sharing funny stories and being able to laugh along with those closest to me. Laughter warms the soul and opens the mind in every possible way. Laughing provides a source of unity, reduces stress, alleviates hardships, and promotes a positive well-being. Laughing is the best remedy for a long and happy life.

Laughing is universal; it does not take into consideration any aspects of our personal lives except for the ability to make others happy. Laughter is a common language that allows everyone to communicate equally. There are no grammar rules, comma splices or punctuation errors through this non-written language. Laughter unites people to form a common ground, free of technical mistakes. Laughing has no rules or guidelines to follow, it is only contagious.

My roommate helps me recall funny moments that have occurred here at college; such as, sticking post-it notes to completely cover the door or trying to fit the sofa from the common area into our dorm room. This provides me with a positive way to reduce stress and concentrate on why I am happy. Stress can be very harmful if not dealt with, and I am glad to have a way to cut it back. Laughter is therapeutic in my life and helps me in so many ways.

Laughter helps me cope with hardships and/or loss. Sometimes I find myself missing friends and family members back at home. I call them on the phone or send an email to see how they are doing. We share many words, but the best ones are those that make us laugh. I love hearing vivid stories that seem to paint a visual image in my mind. I feel as though I am back at home through the funny stories. Being able to laugh shows that I can handle what life throws at me with self-assurance. For example, when my dog passed away, it was easy to be filled with sadness. However, because I have the gift of laughter, I was able to reminisce about his funny characteristics. I thought of the many times when I played basketball outside of the house with my parents and my dog would freely join in. He loved jumping up to catch the ball when it came down from the hoop after one of us made a basket. Then, he would chase the ball and stop it from rolling with his head.

Through humor, I can help others feel good about themselves which in the process makes me feel better. I enjoy taking the time to explain myself through funny stories that express who I am. Laughing lifts my spirit and makes me excited about each new day. Laughter frees the stress, hardships, and struggles of everyday life.